Saturday, December 1, 2007

Madrasati

I was driving to work yesterday listening to Era.fm ('cos I love their morning crew!). They were asking people to call up and sing their school songs. Which got me to thinking about my school... and realising that after 12 years I still remember every word of the freakin' school song!! Of course la.. I only had to sing it every Monday for five years. And oh my God.. I totally hated my school when I was there. But isn't weird now I'm okay with it and strangely enough.. kinda miss it?




This is my alma mater, far away in the wild wild jungles of Raub, Pahang. It's a sekolah berasrama penuh, one of the more ulu ones in my day. Haha! Back then, to get there you had to take a bus from Pekeliling or Pudu which took about 3 hours. There was no convenient MRR2 then. You had to go through Setapak to Gombak to the Karak Highway and endure endless turning roads along deep ravines until you finally got to the little town o' Raub. The best thing about the town was the yummy nasi ayam behind the bus-stop and the local 2-storey Jaya supermarket where we did our shopping. Other than that, there really wasn't much else! From there, you took another bus trip (which cost only 55 sen!) to the school. Or you could get a taxi for RM5.

Everyone who's been to boarding school knows about prep. You know, the time you're supposed to be studying and doing homework but instead you read Taiwan comics, listen to Pilihan Bersama on your walk-mans hidden in your baju, gossip, nap and sometimes play Chess? And lining up to get your grub at the dewan makan. Apart from the infamous nasi kawah, ours served such exotic dishes such as ikan surat khabar, ayam masak kuning, ikan jaket and sotong tin. We also enjoyed kicap Besta, bread from the local factory across the road, extremely sweet tea and tasteless coffee.

Our dorms were a 10 minute walk along the gajah menyusur from school. The water pressure in our toilets was unpredictable so we usually ended up mass bathing around the kolah. Behind the kolah and clothes lines was a chain-link fence which separated us from the secondary jungle from where we were treated to a regular weekly show from the crazy flasher from the nearby village! Hmmm.. I could go on and on about that school. How I loved and hated it from the moment I set foot there on 15 Dec 1990! But it's getting late and you probably have better things to do anyway than read about me rambling on about some obscure place.

Oh, and for the record, here's my school song:

Inilah sekolah yang tercinta
SEMESTA itulah namanya
Mendidik dan membina anak-anak negara
Mencapai segala cita-cita

Kepada para guru semua
Jasamu tiada tandingnya
Bekerja dan berusaha
Tidak mengenal masa
Demi masa depan kita

Berilmu, beramal, berbudi setiap masa
Pada Rukun Negara
Kami akan setia

Oh Tuhan yang Maha Kuasa
Jayakanlah kami semua
Selamat dan sentosa
Sihat setiap masa
Berjaya, SEMESTA, berjaya!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

aiyoh...never knew u guys had bath in kolah..selamat my school takde..shy-shy la me..haha! eh terror jugak u sempat seludup walkman all..the food..yaa..sucks..i still remember the look and the taste of ikan jacket! yuck yuck! and yes! the teaaa extreeeeemeely sweet! they made standard menu for all kan? ish ishk..

nanti reminisce on those skbb days pulak...hahaha..yes yes..nanti i scan those photos!yikes! scarry me kan? eiiiikk!

p/s:selamat my school dalam bandar..hehehe..

emly2175 said...

u buat I teringat my old SBP je... I tooo didn't like much of my life there.. Tapi nasib baik la dekat dgn kampung I aje.. Prep time! bukannya study pun...

kaezrin said...

yes those sembunyikan walkman under the bajus..i remember that..and i dunno abt ur gals skol...gross bila i it bab toilet tersumbat..mana2 sekolah sbp i pegi mmg famous..gross ok.....and bab air takde tuh mmg famouse

Anonymous said...

oohhhhhhhh hanna!!!!!

ko still ingt lagu skolah? aku ingat lagu tadika & primary jer. semesta tu dh long gone ler ... hehehehee ....
balik naik bas merah tu sure ada org muntah, siap ikat dlm plestik, baling keluar tingkap!! balik kl plak musti ada nyonya tercicir ikan atas lantai bas. nati hanyir satu bas! huhuuuu ..... kene panjat pintu blakang utk cop seat balik kl..
dulu tango choc kat jaya tu singgit jer ...
pilihan bersama? siap gunting dr paper tu ...!
hanna, sbg seketeri biro makanan, aku nk ingatkan ko, xtremely sweet tea & tasteless coffee tu namanya WAHI, tin hijau. berat nk mamposss. when kejora & zuhal were on supper duty, we used to put those kicap besta into the boys' coffee ... huhuhuuuuuu!!!! pastu tgok budak2 form 1 minum semahu-mahunya!!! muahahhahahahha!!!!
nasik kawahlah yg burjaya buat berat aku 45 kilos for 5 meaningful years. smp skang berat aku still 42 kilos & going down. d**n it!
kolah???? smp skang aku still thinking, betapa la hebatnya kita dulu boleh bekemban dgn kain basah at 5.30 am & mandi air gunung tu during wee hours. skang ni, takde water heater rs tokleh hidup!
one day hanna, when i own my OWN car, i'll definitely take a.d. back to that wonderful place & bore him with all our stories. one sweet day hanna, one sweet day ...


oh ya, btw, member aku kata kat raub dah ada kfc. kfc??? jgn tak cayo!!!!!!!

Anis Zainal-Pacleb said...

hi Hana! i was just blog-hopping and chanced upon your lovely site. Guess what! We went to the same SBB la but we didn't cross path that time as I left SEMESTA in 1990 rite after my SPM and way before u joined. Yup! I still remember the torturing journey from pekililing to our beloved yet secluded school. Sometimes, the bus driver cam kat Litar Sepang lak kan? Was it Jaya, the D' place where we usually by our ration? tak ingat la..the school song lagi la? I was at D22, Marikh. Btw, i enjoyed reading yr blog and has added yours to mine. Hope it's ok with you?

Anonymous said...

hanna....
my hubby went to the same school too!! infact, rajin jugak orang tua tu beraktiviti dlm alumni sekolah 'kesayangan'....
-camy-

DoNe? No! said...

kak hanna.. you make me smile laugh macam orang gile depan pc ni. habis flashback all the memories. kita beza 2 tahun je tapi saya sempat la merasa JAYA pindah ke building baru sederet dengan kfc! yang lelain.. sama je! by the way, it's me danor adik yusni.

Anonymous said...

Hi......I found your blog by accident. (Tengah mencari gambar sekolah)...saw your posting about SEMESTA school song...hahahaha, terus I menyanyi sorang-sorang...(siap boleh ingat musicnotes kat kepale lagi- emmmm I was a member of the brassband for 5 years...hahahaha). I think you nih I punyer senior kot. If that so, you probably would remember me....I jage co-op everyday for 5 years and beside I dulu dalam kategori "limited edition"...non muslim student-my batch SPM 2 org jer. Moral pun Cikgu Rashidah yg ajar...waktu kelas, keboringan yg terlampau, siap I bole tertido lagi dalam opis die..eemmm bilik air-cond huhuhu).

Anyway, thank you for the flashback (smile). And by the way, great blog. Bye.

ANDREW STORY