The time has come. The day I've dreaded my entire adult life has arrived. I can't deny it anymore, nor can I hide it as well I used to be able to. I might as well announce it to the world. I am going on a diet. I need to lose weight. Seriously, and not in a "oh my God I'm so fat I gained a pound" way either. More like "oh my God I'm so fat look at my spare tyres I need a girdle not even my fat pants fit anymore" kinda way.
Honestly! You wouldn't think it when you look at me most of the time. I often go to work in baju kurung, which successfully hide my less attractive extra bits and give me a deceptively slim silhouette. When I attempt to wear a shirt and pair of pants however... well, I have been asked more than once in the past few months whether I was pregnant again. I just laugh and brush it off, pat my tummy ruefully and claim, "Biasa la... dah anak dua!". Even my hubs hints about my extra weight but totally in an unoffensive, safe way in case I freak out.
Okay, what really got me off on this losing weight thing was when I decided to shop for some new work duds the other day. I could still fit into size L shirts (after 2 pregnancies and breastfeeding, my torso and boobs were never the same again). Pants were another matter. I couldn't even fit into the XLs at P*dini! My hips were too wide or my thighs too big.. The salesgirl said it's probably because of the small cut of the pants. Yeah, right. I wasn't able to find a decent pair of pants in the whole of TC that day. A few days later I went to OU where I found comfortable Ls (with room to spare) in JJ. Weird, huh? Still, the experience really shook me. Was I to be forever doomed to wear department store house brand pants forever? No more cute little boutique or high street pants? Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The very next day I started researching on the Internet and roped in another mommy colleague of mine to join in my diet quest. I won't tell you what kind of diet I'm going on, in case it doesn't work out (malu) and I give them free advertising anyway. I'm not crash dieting, I'm trying to take a safer, more nutritional approach to my food intake with hopefully some exercise when I can get it. If I had thousands of RMs to spare I'd gladly sign up for a course of treatments at a slimming centre a la N*rjuma (who claimed earlier that she gave up rice and ate only boiled veggies.. my arse!!). But, since I am but a humble working mother and the economy's going down the toilet, I'll have to make do with doing it the old-fashioned way.
Today I had my first breakfast smoothie made with soy milk and other bits and bobs. Mmmmm sedap but still not very satisfying. And I was hungry a half hour later. Looks like I'm going to have to go out and get me some healthy low-fat snacks.
How will I survive? Watch this space....
Honestly! You wouldn't think it when you look at me most of the time. I often go to work in baju kurung, which successfully hide my less attractive extra bits and give me a deceptively slim silhouette. When I attempt to wear a shirt and pair of pants however... well, I have been asked more than once in the past few months whether I was pregnant again. I just laugh and brush it off, pat my tummy ruefully and claim, "Biasa la... dah anak dua!". Even my hubs hints about my extra weight but totally in an unoffensive, safe way in case I freak out.
Okay, what really got me off on this losing weight thing was when I decided to shop for some new work duds the other day. I could still fit into size L shirts (after 2 pregnancies and breastfeeding, my torso and boobs were never the same again). Pants were another matter. I couldn't even fit into the XLs at P*dini! My hips were too wide or my thighs too big.. The salesgirl said it's probably because of the small cut of the pants. Yeah, right. I wasn't able to find a decent pair of pants in the whole of TC that day. A few days later I went to OU where I found comfortable Ls (with room to spare) in JJ. Weird, huh? Still, the experience really shook me. Was I to be forever doomed to wear department store house brand pants forever? No more cute little boutique or high street pants? Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The very next day I started researching on the Internet and roped in another mommy colleague of mine to join in my diet quest. I won't tell you what kind of diet I'm going on, in case it doesn't work out (malu) and I give them free advertising anyway. I'm not crash dieting, I'm trying to take a safer, more nutritional approach to my food intake with hopefully some exercise when I can get it. If I had thousands of RMs to spare I'd gladly sign up for a course of treatments at a slimming centre a la N*rjuma (who claimed earlier that she gave up rice and ate only boiled veggies.. my arse!!). But, since I am but a humble working mother and the economy's going down the toilet, I'll have to make do with doing it the old-fashioned way.
Today I had my first breakfast smoothie made with soy milk and other bits and bobs. Mmmmm sedap but still not very satisfying. And I was hungry a half hour later. Looks like I'm going to have to go out and get me some healthy low-fat snacks.
How will I survive? Watch this space....

5 comments:
You know with my 1st, I lost all the weight in 5 months and then I met you guys and all the mkn2 and "let's have tea" sessions made me put one some kilos again (I do love the mkn2 sessions by the way). And then I became preggars again. I have lost all the 9-10 kg that I put on but am still working at the ones that I put on before I got pregnant with #2.
After I send my daughter off to school, I huff and puff my way around the local park (so la tak fit!!) and on my daughter's non-school day, I have to bring both of them in the double stroller around the park. Mcm nak mati push the stroller on a oh-not-so-steep slope. The datuks and neneks who are at the park with me at the same time always look at me sympathetically, their pace is so much faster!
It's always the last 5kg that is so hard to lose. I don't think I can live purely on boiled veggies, if I stay in bed all day boleh lah kot.
I'm doing the strollercise thingy because I miss my nice, nice shirts so much. So here's to you sistah...may we succeed in our quest for losing the lbs!
I don't believe you. No. I don't, sorry. But OK.... maybe just a little. I don't have anaks but I've got a tummy now wei. So, I like soy milk. I try not to take too much dairy stuff. I love milk though. Here's the thing. Low-fat milk has lower calories than soy milk.
I think we should nudge each other every now and then to watch the diet, man. Kasi motivation like gym partners. Hahaha.
Good luck in losing weight, babe. Let us know the progress.
Good luck... Im still hanging on to last few kg of fat for my BM.. yep still nak fully BF as long as possible.
How's the yoga thing going? Joining a gym ke pulak?
M@H: i HAVE to get some exercise. doing housework during the weekends hardly counts, right? also i have to stop finishing eez's leftovers. argkh. good luck to us!
Ling: seriously, i'm deceptively small. i have hidden layers. apart from anak, i think it's age la. we're over 30, our metabolisme is going downhill!! we're not spring chickens anymore!
Hanim: during bf-ing i was so skinny! it was so effortless. stopped going to yoga after work got too bz. gym mahal la.. how? do more housework la jawabnya.
and girls, a kakak told me one fun exercise u can increase is the kind u get between the sheets! hahaha! don't try it alone tho...
s'pose it's something we've gotta deal with. i don't do any exercise at all. carik pasal la this one... dichu see the vid on my fb? that was me about 3 years ago! oh, what a good space to rant a little about this weight issue. thanks, hann.
Post a Comment